You can find these show notes and much more at futuregrind.org.
In this installment of the Future Grind podcast, host Ryan O’Shea is joined by bestselling author and futurist speaker Nikola Danalov. Nikola writes about the future at his website Singularity Weblog and hosts the Singularity.FM podcast. His 2017 book Conversations with the Future (available on Amazon here) features highlights from his interviews with some of this field’s most noteworthy individuals, including Ray Kurzweil, Kevin Kelly, Verner Vinge, and more. They discuss the importance of ethics and the influence of Socrates in Nikola’s work, as well as his path from serving in the armed forces of Bulgaria to studying drone warfare in North America, and how that ultimately lead to his fascination with the technological singularity.
It’s time once again for your frequent disclaimer that the thoughts of the guests on this podcast do not necessarily reflect the views of Future Grind or Ryan O’Shea.
We’re posting in two forms, an audio podcast and a video podcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel, DTube channel, and iTunes feed as we have some exclusive content that is not posted on both channels. You can also find us on Facebook.
- View and share on Facebook.
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes (subscribe, download, review)
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “download as”
- Watch this episode on YouTube (subscribe, like, comment)
- What Nikola does [1:38]
- Where to start? Ethics. [2:28]
- How drone warfare introduced Nik to the Singularity [5:00]
- Governments jobs & the benefit of rejection [9:17]
- Beginnings in communist Bulgaria [10:27]
- The growth of Singularity Weblog [13:45]
- What is the Singularity? [22:09]
- How Nikola became Socrates [25:24]
- Singularity Weblog as a modern Greek Symposium [28:05]
- The Emperor Has No Clothes – critique of Singularity University [31:15]
- The fallout from the Rotterdam talk [40:26]
- How the book came to be [43:14]
- The struggles & rewards of a vegan diet [45:28]
- Is Nikola a Transhumanist? [55:14]
- The risk of nuclear weapons & climate change [56:32]
- Parting messages [1:06:56]
“Technology is Not Enough”
“Technology is the How, not the Why or What”
Start Here on Singularity Weblog
Ray Kurzweil – The Singularity is Near
Charlie Stross – Accelerando
NASA Ames Research Center
Richard Branson – Losing My Virginity
Nikola’s “Transhumanist Manifesto”
Please like, comment, rate, and share this podcast to spread the word. Ryan O’Shea is on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and we’d love to hear what you thought and what you want to see going forward.
If you have any questions or are interested in supporting or advertising with Future Grind, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.